[Cell-biology] Re: Animations of a Possible Cure for Cancer

John via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by jmcgowan79 from gmail.com)
Fri Nov 11 20:55:01 EST 2011

On Nov 8, 2:34=A0pm, PiLS <p... from invalid.ca> wrote:
> Le lun, 07 nov 2011 17:46:37, John a plopp=E9:
>
> > Animations of a Possible Cure for Cancer
>
> > This is an approach to the cure or treatment of cancer using a
> > relatively simple mathematical algorithm.
>
> >http://math-blog.com/2011/10/31/animations-of-a-possible-cure-for-can...
>
> That is a nice animation but has little to no merit as far as curing
> cancer goes. Not all cancer cells are aneuploid, nor is every normal
> cell diploid. Bacteriophages target bacteries, not mamalian cells,
> although it would be possible to find another vector, like a lentivirus.
> But in that case it would be much easier to target only cancer cells
> based on the surface receptor they display. Which, surprise surprise,
> is already being studied.
> The surface recognition strategy is also used by our own immune
> system to eliminate most cancer cells (some escape from time to time),
> or in therapeutic strategies based on autologous immune cells modified
> to kill the (escaped) cancer cells -already in use.
>
> The problem with using a virus is that it usually triggers the immune
> response, which can lead, in the best case scenario, to the destruction
> of the therapeutic vector, and in the worst case, to very toxic effects.
>
> Basing the system on the number of chromosome is typically a bad idea as
> exposed higher (this is a common mistake: most cancer cells are aneuploid=
,
> so let's kill all the non-diploid cells. Cancer cured. It amounts to
> Most cancer cells are alive, so let's kill all live cells, cancer cured.)
> Not to mention that it would be extremely difficult to "automatically"
> count the number of chromosomes. Telomeres and centromeres vary in size
> and "geometry" between cell types, depending on the age, etc...
>
> As I said, that's a nice animation.
>
> --
> PiLS

With respect to bacteriophages, see, for example, this article:

(The FASEB Journal. 1999;13:727-734.)
=A9 1999 FASEB

-----

Research Communications

Gene transfer to mammalian cells using genetically targeted
filamentous bacteriophage
DAVID LAROCCA, PAUL D. KASSNER, ALISON WITTE, ROBERT CHARLES LADNERa,
GLENN F. PIERCE and ANDREW BAIRD
Selective Genetics Inc., San Diego, California 92121, USA; and

a Dyax Corporation, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02115, USA

We have genetically modified filamentous bacteriophage to deliver
genes to mammalian cells. In previous studies we showed that
noncovalently attached fibroblast growth factor (FGF2) can target
bacteriophage to COS-1 cells, resulting in receptor-mediated
transduction with a reporter gene. Thus, bacteriophage, which normally
lack tropism for mammalian cells, can be adapted for mammalian cell
gene transfer. To determine the potential of using phage-mediated gene
transfer as a novel display phage screening strategy, we transfected
COS-1 cells with phage that were engineered to display FGF2 on their
surface coat as a fusion to the minor coat protein, pIII. Immunoblot
and ELISA analysis confirmed the presence of FGF2 on the phage coat.
Significant transduction was obtained in COS-1 cells with the targeted
FGF2-phage compared with the nontargeted parent phage. Specificity was
demonstrated by successful inhibition of transduction in the presence
of excess free FGF2. Having demonstrated mammalian cell transduction
by phage displaying a known gene targeting ligand, it is now feasible
to apply phage-mediated transduction as a screen for discovering novel
ligands.=97Larocca, D., Kassner, P. D., Witte, A., Ladner, R. C.,
Pierce, G., Baird, A. Gene transfer to mammalian cells using
genetically targeted filamentous bacteriophage.

http://www.fasebj.org/content/13/6/727

Sincerely,

John