[Cell-biology] Re: Animations of a Possible Cure for Cancer

John via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by jmcgowan79 from gmail.com)
Wed Nov 16 22:11:18 EST 2011

On Nov 15, 2:59 am, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar... from gmail.com> wrote:
> I seem to recall reading a theoretical article a few years ago that
> suggested the use of zinc-finger based logic to detect double deletions
> of critical regulatory genes. The premise was that, even without
> aneuploidy, many cancer cells will have deleted both alleles of a
> critical regulator or two along the way, and detecting these deletions
> would permit pretty selective destruction of cancer cells.
>
> The system involved a time-delayed toxin that was inhibited by an
> antitoxin. The antitoxin was a split protein conjugated to ubiquitins
> and one of two zinc fingers; if the zinc fingers bound adjecent to one
> another on an allele, ubiquitin ligase would (theoritically, mind)
> ligate the two chimeric proteins, and the reconstituted antitoxin would
> protect the cell from death. Clever, but I've not seen it implemented. I
> also felt it overcomplicated the first implementation of a fantastic
> idea; zinc-finger-mediated protein conjugation by ubiquitin ligase.
>
> By the way, although mature sperm are haploid, the precursor cells
> aren't; permanent infertility shouldn't result from a system that
> attacks aneuploid cells. Mature eggs are diploid as far as I know, only
> "kicking" the second chromosome set upon fertilisation. I may be under a
> misapprehension there, though; anyone with more knowledge care to comment?
>
> --www.indiebiotech.com
> twitter.com/onetruecathal
> joindiaspora.com/u/cathalgarvey
> PGP Public Key:http://bit.ly/CathalGKey

See this press release from MIT

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/cancer-detection-circuit-0902.html

for a reported implementation of a logic circuit.

Sincerely,

John