Anacystis culture media

Frank Richardson indotec!frichard at
Tue Jul 20 07:31:42 EST 1993

Hi netters,

	I know that perhaps this may not be the right place to place my
request, but this is the only Biosci group working specifically with algae.
So, this is the one: Actually I'm working in a project dealing with feeding
behavior of juvenile freshwater unionids. We have chosen 3 different algae
(Chlorella, Nitzchia and Chrococcus (=Anacystis) ) that represent  the
most familiar groups of freshwater phytoplancton: greens, browns and blue-
greens. The isolation and culture of the green and the brown one
happened without a hitch. The problem lies in the isolation and culture
of the blue-green. I have tried different culture media (Provazoli, Hidroponic,
WC, and Difco algae culture agar). I even experimented adding some
substances to that Difco media (citric acid, beef extract, yeast extract,
and fungicides. the last ones because of early mould colonization), or
changing some conditions (raising pH and temperature). So far we have had no
success. Some plates have grown Aphanizomenon, but that blue green can't be
used because is a colonial one. We are after some kind of isolation or
selective media for Chrococcus, which is non colonial.

Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.
				Thanks in advance

Frank Richardson                            indotec!frichard at

INDOTEC (Dominican Institute of Industrial Technology)
attn: Frank Richardson
P.O.Box 329-2, Santo Domingo, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

Phone  : (809) 566-8121 (ext 264)
Home   : (809) 596-6801
Fax    : (809) 540-2808 or 2809