3'untranslated regions of chlamy genes

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Sat Jan 8 10:28:35 EST 1994

Hellow everyone,

We have identified two novel, mating-activated cDNA clones
which we are characterizing further to find out exactly what they are.
We are in the process of making GST-fusion proteins from these clones
and would like to know few things.

1) How big, on average, are 3'untranslated regions of chlamy genes?
What's the largest (or smallest) known either in chlamy or elsewhere?

2) Can one trust a reasonably long (let's say 200 to 350 aminoacids)
open reading frame from a cDNA clone to be derived from the 'real'
coding sequence?
(Assuming that the other two frames have several stop codons and
that the sequence is derived from 'somewhere' in the middle of the
transcript. We already know the polarity of the molecule since the
clones are derived from a directional cDNA library.)

3) Also, has anyone made a catalogue of chlamy genes and their sequences
(nuclear, chloroplastic and mitochondrial; transcribed, untranscribed,
translated and untranslated; etc., etc.)?

We will appreciate any and all answers and thoughts on these questions.
Wishing and hoping for a "chlamy-productive" new year,

Venkatesh Kurvari, Ph.D.
Snell Laboratories, Dallas, Tx.