SiC whiskers

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 23:00:57 EST 1994

I recently published a paper in Biotechniques (15:452, 1993) in which I
described the transformation of walled Chlamydomonas cells mediated by
silicon carbide whiskers.  Since then, I've had requests from several
people for information on obtaining the whiskers.  The source described in
the paper, Tokai Carbon, will no longer give out samples of the fibers, and
only sells them in 2 kg quantities.  Several months ago I contacted Mr.Taso
Iraclidis at Alfa Chemical (Johnson Matthey Company) about the possibility
of offering the whiskers through their company (they already offered SiC
powder and platelets).  I just found out today that they will be offering
SiC whiskers in their new catalog.  You can place an order now, with
expected delivery in a few weeks.  The fibers are 1.1 um x 15 um (very
similar to the fibers I used previously), 99% pure, and will sell for $95
for 50 gm or $179 for 100 gm (catalog # 38787).  I plan to order some to
try for Chlamydomonas transformation, and will put a note on the net with
the results.

Terri Dunahay
National Renewable Energy Lab
Golden, CO  80304