Chlamydomonas Genomic DNA Indexed Library Available

Donald P. Weeks BTEC001 at UNLVM.UNL.EDU
Mon May 9 09:55:00 EST 1994

Our laboratory has recently constructed an indexed, cosmid library of Chlamydom
onas genomic DNA (Plant Molecular Biology 24, 663-672).  We are now in a positi
on to make the library available to others in the Chlamydomonas community.

The library, consisting of 11,280 members each in the individual wells of 120 m
icrotiter plates, may be useful for gene isolation through genomic complementat
ion or other procedures that benefit from having a library in which individual
members can be quickly and accurately identified by number (i.e., by its positi
on in a specific, single well of a particular microtiter plate).  The large num
ber of clones in the library provide a reasonable probability that any one part
icular Chlamydomonas gene will be present. Thus, the calculated probability of
finding at least one copy of a large (10 kb) nuclear gene is approximately 92%.
  Additional details concerning the construction of the library and its use for
 gene isolation by genomic complementation can be found in the publication cite
d above.

Technical delays in developing methods for the mass replication of the library
and in creating satisfactory means for shipping the library on Dry Ice have del
ayed our plans for sharing the library at an earlier date.  Thus, some of you a
lready have been aware of the existence of the library and have requested copie
s.  We will honor those requests first if you will let us know of your continue
d interest.  Because grant funds were not available to cover the notable expens
es associated with replicating and shipping the library, we are requesting that
 those wishing a copy of the library pay a service fee of $1000 to partially  c
over the associated costs.  (If sufficient numbers of the library are requested
 to lower the per unit cost of production, we may be in a position to offer the
 library to one or two laboratories with no grant support or other means of pay
ing for the library.)  Orders for the library will be honored on a first-come,
first-served basis.

Questions and orders should be forwarded by email to dweeks at unlvm.unl.edu, fax
 (402) 472-3139, or mail (Don Weeks, UNL Center for Biotechnology, 101 Manter H
all, University of Nebraska Lincoln, P.O. Box 880159, Lincoln NE  68588-0159.