Naming genes

Robin L. Wright wrightr at ZOOLOGY.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed May 25 21:01:42 EST 1994

I am sorry that I was not able to attend the recent meeting at which
gene naming was discussed.  [I hear it was the best yet (and the food
was good, too).]  Nevertheless, I wuld like to add my 2-cents worth
to the gene naming discussion.

My vote is to keep the dash after the gene name and before the
number.  The major reason is for clarity when the third letter could
be mistaken for a number.  For example, bcl1 and SWI1 are difficult
to read on many type faces.  bcl-1 and SWI-1 are much clearer in
print.  Thus, your favorite gene would become YFG-1 and mutant
alleles would be yfg-1-1 etc.

In addition, I think that reserving the all capital letters for the
wild-type allele and distinguishing dominant mutant alleles with a
"D" would be preferable.  This convention would require less
knowledge from an uninformed reader - that is, one would not have to
figure out whether the all capitals gene name is the wild-type or the
mutant.  It would always be wild-type.  Likewise, mutant alleles
would always be lower case.

I know that these suggestions are not consistent with the current
yeast terminology conventions (which are the ones Susan Dutcher has
proposed).  But, I think that these suggestions allow the information
they carry information to be unambiguous.

Robin Wright