Gene nomenclature

Michael W. Gray mgray at AC.DAL.CA
Thu May 26 09:12:36 EST 1994

On Thu, 26 May 1994 06:21:59 -0700,
cbirky at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu  <cbirky at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

>I didn't attend the Chlamy meeting and am only peripherally/occasionally a
>Chlamy person, but am interested in the nomenclature because my lab is
>sequencing nuclear and plastid genes from Polytoma and Polytomella.  It's
>my impression that Susan's suggestion is meant to apply to genetic loci;
>would it also apply to sequenced genes?  The International Society of Plant
>Molecular Biology established a Commission on Plant Gene Nomenclature.
>They established a system for naming genes that had been sequenced; it is
>not intended to replace established nomenclature for genetic loci.  The
>system covers nuclear and plastid genes but not mitochondrial genes.  Given
>that Chlamy is probably more closely related to plants than it is to
>animals, yeast, or bacteria, it might be a good idea to adopt this
>nomenclature for sequenced genes ... if that hasn't already been done.

The system established by the Commission on Plant Gene Nomenclature
actually does cover plant mitochondrial genes (David Lonsdale is the
coordinator of the mitochondrial gene nomenclature section).  With the
agreement of the Commission, we in the Canadian-based Organelle Genome
Megasequencing Project (OGMP) are using this system for the naming of genes
and ORFs found in the protist (including algal) mitochondrial genomes we
are sequencing.

 \\  ||    Michael W. Gray                          / ___  ___ \
  \\//     Professor, Biochemistry                 / / @ \/ @ \ \
   \\      Dalhousie University                    \ \___/\___/ /\
  //\\     Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4H7, Canada     \____\/____/||
 //  ||    Tel.     (902)494-2521                   /     /\\\\\//
 || //     FAX      (902)494-1355                   |     |\\\\\\
  \\/      Email    mgray at ac.dal.ca                 \      \\\\\\