mating with cw strains

rose leviticus rlevitic at unlinfo.unl.edu
Wed Jul 12 16:49:03 EST 1995

I am setting crosses between mutant and cell wall-less strains of
Chlamydomonas this week. I have it on good local authority that cw
strains are notoriously hard to mate. So far I have tried what I think
is the normal procedure: resuspending fresh cells from acetate plates
into N-free SGII, vortexing, and allowing gamete formation to proceed
overnight in 1000-2000 lux. After mixing the partners, I allow mating
to proceed for 2 hours in the light before plating. I incubate the
maturation plates in bright light (4000 lux) overnight before putting
them in the dark for a week.

It is to soon to see zygotes, but I would like to know if there are
some special changes to this procedure that improve the success for cw
strains, and that I can include in crosses I am setting later this
week.

I have noticed that according to our local test electronic newsgroup
my name is "rose leviticus". I doubt that answers mailed to her will
reach me. My real name is Roel Funke and my electronic address is

rfunke at unlinfo.unl.edu

I'll get that straightened out.

Thankyou.

Roel