mating with cw strains

Carol Hwang hwang at biodec.wustl.edu
Mon Jul 17 10:39:10 EST 1995

I would add to Lib's reply that if the cells on the plate are 6-7 days
old, they should have depleted the nitrogen and be gametic so all you need
is for them to be flagellated to mate them.  I try to suspend cells by
smearing them on the side of the tube then bringing medium up by the loopful
to dissolve the smear (Paul Levine compared this to making a flour paste
for gravy) and I don't vortex the cells because this can shear off flagella.
I also look at my plates under a dissecting scope before wrapping them
because frequently I can see zygotes by their relatively enourmous cell
diameter.

Carol Hwang	hwang at biodec.wustl.edu