antisera for membrane prote

Karen Kindle karen_kindle at qmrelay.mail.cornell.edu
Tue Nov 7 18:01:37 EST 1995

                       Subject:                               Time:9:30 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          antisera for membrane proteins         Date:11/7/95

Dear Chlamydomonas community,

We have been making membrane preparations from Chlamydomonas chloroplasts and
would like very much to verify their purity.  In particular, we are concerned
about contamination of the chloroplast membrane fractions with plasma
membrane, ER, and other organellar membranes.  It would also be useful to know
how pure our envelope fractions are.  We have an antiserum for spinach
beta-CF1 (ATPase), which recognizes both mitochondrial and chloroplast forms,
so this is a good marker for mitochondrial contamination as well as thylakoid
membrane purity/contamination.  However, more critical for our purposes is to
demonstrate that the fractions are relatively free of organellar membranes
other than chloroplast.  Does anyone have or know of an antiserum that would
be a reasonable marker for ER or plasma membrane?   Any advice or suggestions
would be very much appreciated.

Karen Kindle