how I do the reference searches

Elizabeth Harris chlamy at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU
Tue Nov 14 11:28:49 EST 1995

I've had some people ask how I do the monthly literature review for
bionet.chlamydomonas, often in the context of "why isn't my recent paper
listed here?"  A few words of explanation may therefore be useful.

I subscribe to a weekly survey (Reference Update) that comes in the mail on
a floppy disk and covers most journals in cell and molecular biology,
genetics, plant physiology, etc.  I search these entries for a long list of
words, including Chlamydomonas, Dunaliella, Volvox, and alga*.  It's
possible, though, that I might miss an important paper if "Chlamydomonas"
doesn't appear in either the title or the author-contributed keyword list.
I also look at the entire contents of the major journals likely to have
Chlamy papers, and will sometimes list a paper here by a known member of
the Chlamy community even if it deals with higher plants, sperm flagella,
or other non-algal topics.  Since we have a lot of readers interested in
other kinds of algae, I also try to include papers on Chlorella,
Scenedesmus, Euglena, red algae, etc. when I run across them, but the
coverage for these is less comprehensive than for the Volvocales.

Periodically I also look at the contents of more specialized journals, e.g.
the phycological literature, and add a group of references from these
sources.  However, I don't do this every month, and the list posted here
usually reflects only the Reference Update search plus occasional direct
contributions by members of the community.

Finally, all Chlamy, Dunaliella and Volvox papers from these searches are
also added to the database (ChlamyDB, available on World Wide Web at
http://probe.nalusda.gov:8300, select "browse Chlamydomonas" from the first
menu.)   I also periodically search Medline and Agricola for papers that I
might have missed, and these citations, plus abstracts where available, are
also added to the database.

So - if your paper didn't appear here, do you need to let me know?  If it
appeared within the past few weeks in a major international journal and has
a useful keyword in the title, I'll almost certainly catch it on the next
month's update.  If it's in a specialized journal or a symposium volume, or
the title doesn't mention anything that would flag it for me, then please
do drop me a note to tell me about it.

Elizabeth Harris
chlamy at acpub.duke.edu