problem preparing Hutners trace elements...

Marcel.Janssen at ALGEMEEN.PK.WAU.NL Marcel.Janssen at ALGEMEEN.PK.WAU.NL
Wed Dec 2 12:38:15 EST 1998

Dear netters,

I hope some among you have experience in preparing Hutner trace elements
solution. I followed the procedure described on page 579 in the Chlamydomonas
Sourcebook.
The problem occurs during the final step, when I adjust to pH 6.7 by adding
20% w/v KOH. The solution changes from clear dark green to a suspension of a
green solution and rust-brown particles. According to the procedure it should
be clear green initially and after one or two weeks the color changes to
purple leaving this rust-brown precipitate. However, when I let the solution
stand for 2 weeks nothing changes and after two weeks I still have a
suspension of a green solution and a rust-brown precipitate...
I already tried this procedure for three times and always I have the same
problem.

Does anybody know what could be the cause of this behaviour,

thank you very much for your time,

sincerely,
Marcel Janssen
Food and Bioprocess Engineering Group