nicotinamide toxicity?

Olivier Vallon Olivier.Vallon at ibpc.fr
Mon Jun 15 10:13:34 EST 1998

I am experiencing trouble scoring for nicotinamide requirement, in a cross
involving a photosynthesis mutant and CC29, a multiple-marker strain widely
used in mapping mutations. This strain carries among others a nic13
mutation confering nicotinamide auxotrophy.

I have poor germination on TAP + Yeast Extract.
Some progeny (not all) show poor growth on that medium, but good growth on
TAP.
Half of the progeny (2:2 segregation in tetrads) do not grow on TAP +
nicotinamide, whereas they grow on TAP (albeit slowly and not very long for
those that carry the nic13 allele)

Conclusion: nicotinamide toxicity, and toxicity of some compound in the
Yeast extract.
These toxicities are genetically determined, and differently.

If anyone has the feeling that he can help me through this genetic maze,
please let me know.

Thank you for any help or hint.

Olivier VALLON
Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique