Postdoctoral positions - Centromere characterization

Laurie Mets l-mets at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 6 14:03:53 EST 1998

We are seeking postdoctoral Research Associates to join our team engaged in
characterizing centromere structure and function in plants.  The project,
supported by the NSF Plant Genome Program, will characterize the regions
responsible for centromere activity, using tetrad analysis to guide
centromere cloning in both Arabidopsis and Chlamydomonas.  Comparative
evaluation of these data will enable a functional analysis of centromeres
in both native and artificial plant chromosomes.  We are exploring the
roles of centromere DNA sequences in mitotic and meiotic chromosome
segregation, regulation of recombination in the vicinity of centromeres,
and regulation of gene expression in centromeric regions.  Two positions
are available:  1)  molecular cloning and mapping of Chlamydomonas
centromeres, and  2) comparative analysis of Arabidopsis centromere
sequences.  A strong background in molecular biology is essential.  Contact
Laurens Mets or Daphne Preuss at The University of Chicago, 1103 E. 57th
St., Chicago, IL 60637.  Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

Laurie Mets
Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology
University of Chicago EBC 210
1103 E. 57th St.