Chlamy cultuture in darkness

Dr. David J. Thomas davidt at
Wed Mar 17 18:11:25 EST 1999

My knowledge of Chlamy techniques is fairly limited, but I've done a little.
Have you tried growing the cultures in flasks on a shaker table with 10 mM
sucrose added to the TAP medium?

> I am going to isolate mitochondrial mutants and revertants of Chlamydomonas
> reinhardtii. We have to bring them up in darkness to select mitochondrial
> revertant clone from deffecient clone because they can grow without
> functional mitochonria in light condition. The problem is, in darkness,
> Chlamydomonas reinhardtii CW15 take 4 weeks to grow up as colonies on
> agarose plates of TAP medium. It would be very appreciated if someone could
> tell me a method/medium to grow them faster in the darkness.
> Kazuo Watanabe
> Ohama Laboratory
> Biohistory Research Hall, 1-1 Murasaki, Takatsuki,
> Osaka 569-11,   Japan
> Tel: 0726-81-9761
> Fax: 0726-81-9757
> e-mail: watanabe at

Dr. David J. Thomas, Ph.D., F.B.I.S.
Research Associate
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID 83844-3051
Phone: 208-885-4474  Fax: 208-885-7905

Editor of MARSBUGS: The Electronic Astrobiology Newsletter
e-mail:  davidt at or marsbugs at