Plant Chromatin Database - ChromDB

Rich Jorgensen raj at ag.arizona.edu
Tue Jan 13 16:08:34 EST 2004

Dear Clamydomonas Researchers:

We propose to expand the Plant Chromatin Database (ChromDB;
www.chromdb.org) into a true community database for all plant
biologists interested in the contribution of chromatin proteins to the
biology of plants. Carolyn Napoli and I will submit a proposal to NSF’s
Plant Genome Research Program to this end and would like to ask for
letters of support from anyone who uses ChromDB, or would like to use
an expanded ChromDB that will serve the whole community, rather than
any particular project or constituency. We will extend annotation and
curation of chromatin protein homologs to all plant species and provide
means for integrating information across species in a phylogenetic
context. (We have already begun to include and annotate Chlamydomonas
chromatin genes in ChromDB.) In addition, we will be adding a wide
variety of new features such providing sequence data in GFF format,
presentation via a track viewer such as GBrowse, and presentation of
edited, user-submitted curation. An editorial board with broad
representation has been constituted to advise and direct ChromDB and to
oversee user submissions of information.

Success of this proposal will depend on our ability to demonstrate and
convey a sense of community interest and support. We would appreciate
comments on the ways in which you find ChromDB to be useful, whether in
research, teaching or both. We are also very interested in your
suggestions as to what additional features would be desirable. If there
are flaws or deficiencies you would like to see corrected, please let
us know about these too. Your message can be as brief or as detailed as
you like. We plan to submit our proposal on or about January 20, 2004.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Sincerely,
Carolyn Napoli, PI
Rich Jorgensen, co-PI