freezing Chlamy?

Elizabeth Harris chlamy at
Wed Nov 17 10:21:13 EST 2004

>Hi -
>I'm looking for information on freezing Chlamy cells.  How have
>people been doing it recently, and with what kind of success?  Who
>has been working on it?
>Thanks so much!!
>Kim, Marshall Lab

The best method so far is to use methanol as a cryoprotectant and
store the frozen cells in liquid nitrogen.  Using a -80 freezer
doesn't work nearly as well.

Dick Sayre's freezing protocol is on line at

We've tested it here at Duke, and it works well.

Jerry Brand and Alexandra Crutchfield at the University of Texas
algal collection (UTEX) have used a similar procedure with Chlamy and
with some other unicellular algae, also with satisfactory results.

Elizabeth Harris

Chlamydomonas Center - new web site: