[Chlamydomonas] new molecular markers

Elizabeth Harris chlamy at duke.edu
Fri Aug 12 13:20:42 EST 2005

 From David Stern:

One of the goals of the current Chlamydomonas genome project is to
saturate the genome with molecular markers, which can be use for
map-based cloning or other genetic studies. Thanks to earlier work
from the Mets, Dutcher and Silflow/Lefebvre laboratories,
supplemented by our own, we compiled a list of 526 markers as
recently published in Plant Physiology
(http://www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/content/abstract/137/2/557)

We are now pleased to provide with the community with 8,775
additional markers. These are of several types, but all are based on
PCR. Each marker is linked to a specific location on a genome
scaffold, and primer sequences and annealing conditions are given. A
representative number of each marker type has been tested, leading to
an estimated total of 9,300 markers that will perform correctly in
mapping experiments using S1-D2 polymorphisms with laboratory strains.

Please see the web page http://www.chlamy.org/kit.html for further
information. Basic molecular mapping kits are still being distributed
by our laboratory. We hope the community will take advantage of these
resources to further our understanding of Chlamydomonas biology.

--
Elizabeth H. Harris

Chlamydomonas Center
http://www.chlamy.org/