[Chlamydomonas] chlamydomonas photobioreactors

jas04 at hampshire.edu jas04 at hampshire.edu
Mon Sep 25 22:02:06 EST 2006

Hello, my name is Jon Spencer and I'm an ecology and sustainability student at
Hampshire College in Amherst, Mass and Ive recently gotten very interested in
algae biodiesel and want to create my own photobioreactor to grow algae in. I'm
going to design my own system, with solar lenses and potentially fiber optics
for artificial light dispersion at night. I was wondering if you had any design
tips or things to absolutely avoid. I have found decent resources on PBR system
modelling and hope to build my own PBR this semester. I would absolutely love to
get my hands on such a system, although the process of building my own seems
enticing, I could use the PBR as a teaching tool at my college (Hampshire
College) and for a high-school course that I'm designing. Also I know that
chlamydomonas is a green algae, do you happen to know the oil content of it (in
percent) and relative productivity? Thank you for replying so quickly, I greatly
appreciate all your help.