[Chlamydomonas] CAPS marker for motility mutant

Darron Luesse via chlamy%40net.bio.net (by dluesse from siue.edu)
Mon Jan 2 11:20:10 EST 2012

Hi All,

I've been using the Mitchell and Graziano (2006) exercises in my Cell
and Molecular Biology course for a couple of years, and the students
seem to get a lot out of them.  I was hoping to expand a bit this
semester and include some DNA work with Chlamy as well.  I am looking
for a restriction digestion marker I can use to identify one of the
common motility mutants (I typically use pf1, pf3, pf14, pf18, or ida4 -
but would be open to others).  I'd like the students to be able to PCR
amplify a segment of DNA, and then digest with an enzyme that would cut
either mutant or wild-type.

Do any of you have a mutant/primer set/enzyme combo that you could

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a kit that they use to
isolate Chlamy DNA?  I've looked into the cheap/easy protocols, but the
lab space my class is in only has one fume hood for 20 students.  I have
a feeling they'd get phenol all over the lab.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you could provide.  I'm a plant molecular
biologist by trade and use Chlamydomonas as a teaching tool.  I'm still
feeling my way around the wonderful world of Chlamy.

Darron Luesse

Darron R. Luesse Ph.D
Assistant Professor
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Department of Biological Sciences, Box 1651
Science Building 3326
Edwardsville, IL  62026
Phone:  (618) 650-2153
Fax:  (618) 650-3174