Formation of a biocomputation lab

Phil J. Curtiss curtiss at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Apr 25 15:21:26 EST 1991

I am trying to look into forming a biocomputation lab here at the University
of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies. I would be interested
in any information about labs that currently exist and their main areas of
study and general kinds of projects that make use of the lab.

The Institute currently has a Parallel Processing Lab and I intend to make
the parallel systems available to projects in the biocomputation lab.  We
are currently planning on getting a Stardent 3000 series machine and
connecting it to our Connection Machine via VME-BUS (no small task) to do
modeling, simulation and visualization.  We also hope to be able to provide
various levels of programming for scientists who wish to use the
biocomputation lab.

Well, I basically just wanted to introduce the idea and find out if there
are any labs specifically dealing with biocomputation out there already and
if so, how they have approached the issues such a lab would face. I also
wanted to know if a biocomputation lab (as such) would be of use to
individuals and get a general feel for the kinds of projects that would be
able to make use of such a lab.

Please let me know if there is any interest and thanks for any input.
--
Domain: curtiss at umiacs.umd.edu		     Phillip Curtiss
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland