current state of the art

Beverly Seavey beverly at
Thu Nov 7 10:14:47 EST 1991

In article <9111042128.AA03563 at> mroussel at (Marc Roussel) writes:
>In article <kgstbfINNpbv at> dean2 at
>(Dean Pentcheff) writes:
>>In article <DAVIS.91Oct22132657 at>
>>davis at ("John E. Davis") writes:
>>Why not more?  Biologists tend
>>not to be mathematically astute (gross generalization, but...)
>     I would really like to hear more from biologists on this subject.
>Does it bother you that a lot of interesting biological work is being

  I am a biologist with a degree in math from MIT. I don't consider myself
  to "not be mathematically astute". Most of the questions that biologists
  find interesting have not yet been shown to be amenable to mathematical
  analysis.  Biophysics issues like blood flow require so many simplifications
  for analysis that they aren't very biological. The question of WHY
  biology doesn't behave like physics has been debated by people for years.
  I remember a Freeman Dyson lecture/essay about just this.

Domain: curtiss at		     Phillip Curtiss
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland
 Phone:	+1-301-405-6710			  College Park, Md 20742