JANET regulations on newsgroup use

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Mon Sep 30 13:21:33 EST 1991

A number of networks are affected by BIOSCI postings and the
regulations vary tremendously.  Because of our reach we have to err on
the side of caution.

Dave Kristofferson

	If memory serves me correctly from about 4 years ago, a less blatant
advertisment for commercial services by a University-associated company in the
UK caused questions to be asked about the function of the then SEQNET
facility at Cambridge.  Such advertisments were in breach of the rules and
regulations under which JANET network ran in the UK; I assume that they still
are.  If individuals post such messages, UK readers and contributors to BIOSCI
may have the facility removed, which would be to our detriment - and, I trust,
to the detriment of everyone.

Nigel Brown
School of Biol Sciences
Univ of Birmingham