Famous iris discrimination data online

pvalerio at kean.ucs.mun.ca pvalerio at kean.ucs.mun.ca
Wed Sep 11 21:39:59 EST 1991

In article <00CD9CD200C0104F at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU>, fry at math.harvard.edu@husc3.harvard.edu writes:

> I'm preparing demos and handouts for a course on pattern
> analysis, and I'd like to use as an example the famous example
> of the three iris species that can be separated by linear
> discriminant.  The original data was reported by E. Anderson
> in 1935 (Bull. Am. Iris Soc. vol 59 pp 2-5) and was referenced
> by Fisher (1936, Annals of Eugenics, vol 7, pp 179-88) and
> Friedman and Rubin (1967, J. Am. Stat. Assoc. vol 62,
> 1159-78), as well as many other places.
>
> I can't find the original Anderson reference, or the Fisher
> reference, and no other paper gives the original data
> (understandably).  Does someone have a reference for another place
> where the data might be published, or (better yet) does anyone
> have this data on line in a file that they could mail me?
> Since this is so widely cited, I figure someone should have
> it around for testing purposes.  I'd much appreciate any help!
>
> Thanks.
>
> David Fry                               fry at math.harvard.EDU
> Department of Mathematics               fry at huma1.bitnet
> Harvard University                      ...!harvard!huma1!fry
> Cambridge, MA  02138
> --
> Domain: curtiss at umiacs.umd.edu		     Phillip Curtiss
>   UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland
>  Phone:	+1-301-405-6710			  College Park, Md 20742

   I am using SAS V.6.06 on VAX/VMS. There is a SAS Sample Library that
came with the package (SAS/STAT) which includes the iris data on disk,
along with several interesting programs for cluster analysis.
   Since there is a very serious note in legalese about copying the
file, I can only suggest that if you have access to SAS, consult
your system manager about the location of the library. All licensed
users should be able to access it. You can search the directory for
programs that include the data (eg. for stat directory) :

search stat:*.*;* Fisher

or use whatever the directory name is used on your system.
  I think the data and programs are also available on other
platforms, for example PC SAS 6.04, and the programs are described
in the SAS/STAT and SAS/GRAPH manuals. Several other data sets are
also provided for various types of statistical analysis examples.

- Hope this helps.

- Paul Valerio. Dept. Biology/Grad. Studies.
  Memorial University, St. John's, Nfld. Canada.