papers available --- ann, genetic algorithms

myself t00bor at dhhdesy3.bitnet
Mon Jan 27 14:50:38 EST 1992

papers available, hardcopies only.

GENERAL ASYMMETRIC NEURAL NETWORKS AND
STRUCTURE DESIGN BY GENETIC ALGORITHMS

Stefan Bornholdt
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY, Notkestr. 85, 2000 Hamburg 52

Dirk Graudenz
Institut f\"ur Theoretische Physik, Lehrstuhl E, RWTH 5100 Aachen,
Germany.

A learning algorithm for neural networks based on genetic algorithms is
proposed. The concept leads in a natural way to a model for the
explanation of inherited behavior. Explicitly we study a simplified
model for a brain with sensory and motor neurons. We use a general
asymmetric network whose structure is solely determined by an
evolutionary process. This system is simulated numerically.
It turns out that the network obtained by the algorithm
reaches a stable state after a small number of sweeps.
Some results illustrating the learning capabilities are presented.

[to appear in Neural Networks]

preprints available from:
Stefan Bornholdt, DESY-T, Notkestr. 85, 2000 Hamburg 52, Germany.
Email: t00bor at dhhdesy3.bitnet (hardcopies only, all rights reserved)

Domain: curtiss at umiacs.umd.edu		     Phillip Curtiss
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland
 Phone:	+1-301-405-6710			  College Park, Md 20742