info on unique simulated annealing projects

Lester Ingber ingber at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Jul 15 16:57:50 EST 1992

I have accepted an invitation to prepare a review article on simulated
annealing for Statistics and Computing.  The first draft is due 15
Jan 93.

If you or your colleagues have performed some unique work using
this methodology that you think could be included in this review,
please send me (p)reprints via EMail or regular mail.  As I will be
making an effort to prepare a coherent article, not necessarily an
all inclusive one, please do not be too annoyed if I must choose not
to include/reference work you suggest.  Of course, I will formally
reference or acknowledge any inclusion of your suggestions/material
in this paper.  While there has been work done, and much more remains
to be done, on rigorous proofs and pedagogical examples/comparisons,
I plan on stressing the use of this approach on complex, nonlinear
and even stochastic systems.

I am a "proponent" of a statistical mechanical approach to selected
problems in several fields; some recent reprints are available via
anonymous ftp from ftp.umiacs.umd.edu [128.8.120.23] in the pub/ingber
directory.  I am not a hardened "proponent" of simulated annealing;
I welcome papers criticizing or comparing simulated annealing to
other approaches.  I already plan on including some references that
are openly quite hostile to this approach.

I sent a similar blind-copy request to people who seem to be working
in related fields, and the response was diverse enough to suggest
that there likely is lots of other interesting work going on.

Thanks.

Lester

  *               Prof. Lester Ingber               *
  *  P.O. Box 857            [10ATT]0-700-L-INGBER  *
  *  McLean, VA 22101        ingber at umiacs.umd.edu  *