X based molecular display

Harry Mangalam mangalam at salk-sc2.sdsc.edu
Mon Jun 29 11:15:00 EST 1992

>I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the info in
>my archives. What X-based molecular display packages are freely
>available in source form? Must be source so I can attempt to compile
>it on my NeXT and must be freely available because I can't afford
>license fees to try this stuff out. I'm looking for something to
>display proteins. Thanks!

Hi,
   We just went thru this in the bio-soft newsgroup a while ago, but in
essence, I believe what you might be looking for is FLEX, a freeware piece
of work by Mike Pique, also of Scripps (mp at scripps.edu).  This is _not_
commercial grade software, but might be all that you need - the ssource is
included in the package or available on request.  It can be FTP'ed from:
perutz.scripps.edu (137.131.152.27) from pub/flex.  In various incarnations
and compilations, flex supports Xlib, sunview, phigs, XGL, and DORE (sp?).
   Rob Locher <locher at iastate.edu> has already tried to get FLEX up and
running, so you might give him a call as well to see how he fared.

   And this was also posted to the same thread: