Parallel Computing Question

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Tue Apr 13 07:29:07 EST 1993

Hi,
	I've been contacted by a member of the Geosciences Dept.
wanting to know if I would support his request to the University
Adminstration for matching funds to obtain parallel computing
capabilities.  Clearly this group needs lots of crunching power
and I support their efforts.  My questions to my more knowledgable
collegues are:
   1. What presently is available (or seen coming in the near
      future) on parallel machines that would aid molecular biology
      research?
   2. Is parallel computing on campus something we would use?
   3. How much effort is required to convert programs such as
      the FASTA and BLAST programs to parallel machines, if any,
      and is this being done or already done?
Thanks and cheers.......bruce