blood flow summary

Michael Resch zra60100 at
Mon Aug 30 10:50:22 EST 1993

two weeks ago i posted a request for information on blood flow.
as i got some useful postings from readers of this newgroup i will give
a short summary of te answers i got.

thanks once again to all who supported me with hints and pointers.

---------------------- summary ------------------------------------------
ajay dhankhar
Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistr
Yale University School of Medicine

works on functional imaging of the human brain . Cerebral blood flow (CBF) is
one of the parameters (besides blood volume(CBV) that they study there

Mark Dalton
Cray Research, Inc.
Eagan, MN 55121

they did some modelling of blood flow on the Crays and used a general
purpose CFD code ASTEC

Matthew Burke

gave me a pointer to

Dr. Charles Peskin
Courant Insititute of Mathematical Sciences
New York University
251 Mercer Street
New York, NY  10012
email: peskin at

Beverly Smith
Computational Science & Engineering Research
Howard University
Washington , DC
USA                           E-MAIL bev at

will start working on a similar problem and gave me a pointer to
Dr. Don Peacock from the
National Institute of Health
also provided me with a pointer to two useful books
"Mc Donald's blood flow in arteries" (3rd ed.) 1990
"Blood flow in the heart and large vessels", M. Sugawara, Tokyo - NY, Springer,

N. Dean Pentcheff
Biological Sciences, Univ. of South Carolina, Columbia SC 29208 (803-777-8998)
Internet addresses: pentcheff at or dean2 at tbone.biol.scarolina.ed

provided me with a pointer to

Dr. James Bassingthwaite
Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195 US

modelling myocardial (and other) mass transport....ended up developing and
using a variety of blood flow models

larry carrier
foveax at
University of Texas

works on  the
viscoelastic and rheo-optical differences between  normal and cancer blood.
and gave me some very usefull pointers to the work of Prof. Thurston and
some other ones.

Brent Cullimore
asta at

works in modelling system-level interactions (LV models, aortic valves,
etc.) with the emphasis on pressure/flow relations
with compliant ducts and
gave me a pointer to Simulation Magazine

Scott Cheng-Hsien Chiang <medic+ at>

provided me with a pointer to
 the medical center of the University of Pittsburgh
were some research is related to blood flow in vessels.

Dr Robin Singla

suggested to contact

Dr Lin head of the BioE dept.
University of Illinois at Chicago
working on modeling fluids for thromogenesis in artificial pumps

-------------------------- end of summary ----------------------------------

there is one question i got and that i would like to hand over to the
Some people at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota would like to know
if there is a liquid which has similar viscosity and density properties as
blood and which would be appropriate to use in an in vitro model.
whoever thinks he can help - please e-mail

jfg at

all those hints and pointers are very usefull for me although at the moment
i will probably not be able to follow all of them at once.

once again many thanks to all who answered. if you have any questions concerning
this summary just send me e-mail.

Michael Resch

Michael Resch                           Phone: ++49 (0)711-685-5834
Rechenzentrum Universitaet Stuttgart    Fax:   ++49 (0)711-678-8363
Numerical Methods for Supercomputers
Allmandring 30                          email: resch at
70550 Stuttgart