Computational molecular biology grad programs?

Robert F. Murphy murphy at a.cfr.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 2 23:12:31 EST 1993

jnelson at barbados.umhc.umn.edu (Julie Nelson) writes:

>I would appreciate it if anyone who knows of graduate programs in
>computational molecular biology in the U.S. could give me information
>about them; I have a B.S. in biochemistry and will soon have an M.S.
>in information science, if that helps any.

Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh,
recently received a grant from the Keck Foundation to establish a
Graduate Program in Computational Biology.   There are over three dozen
training faculty members at Pitt and CMU.  Areas of research include
biological imaging, analysis of protein and nucleic acid sequences,
structure prediction, biostatistics and AI applications to biological
problems.

The Keck program builds on the existing separate strengths in Computer
Science and Biological Sciences at both institutions, the tradition of
interdisciplinary research (illustrated by the NSF Science and
Technology Center for Light Microscope Imaging and Biotechnology at
CMU), the strong involvement of the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center in
research and training in computational biology, and the Undergraduate
Computational Biology and Chemistry curricula developed with support
from the Howard Hughes Foundation.

A group of faculty associated with the Center for Light Microscope
Imaging and Biotechnology and the School of Computer Science was
recently awarded a five-year $3M "Grand Challenge" grant from the
National Science Foundation to develop the Advanced Interactive
Microscope (AIM).  The goal of this project is to extend the power of
the light microscope to a dramatically new level by coupling the latest
techniques for fluorescence-based light microscopy to advanced image-
processing and pattern-recognition software running on a supercomputer.
Three biological projects are part of this effort.  Drs. D.L. Taylor and
F. Lanni will study cytoskeletal function during contraction and
locomotion.  Dr. J. Minden will use the AIM for single cell fate mapping
in living Drosophila embryos.  Dr. R. Murphy will use high-speed 3-D
analysis and manipulation capabilities of the AIM to study membrane traffic

In addition to the funding opportunities available in the participating
departments, fellowships are available for students in both the
Keck and STC graduate programs.

I will be happy to provide additional information to interested parties.

Robert F. Murphy
Associate Professor,
Department of Biological Sciences
   and
Program Leader for Undergraduate and Graduate Education,
murphy at a.cfr.cmu.edu
Phone: 412-268-3480
FAX: 412-268-6571