Grad Programs

David M. Olafson rurik at brc.uconn.edu
Mon Feb 1 22:19:40 EST 1993

Netters,

In Message Id 9302020022.AA13820 Julie Nelson writes:

> I would appreciate it if anyone who knows of graduate programs in
> computational molecular biology in the U.S. could give me information
> about them; I have a B.S. in biochemistry and will soon have an M.S.
> in information science, if that helps any.
>
> Please send email to
> julie at simvax.labmed.umn.edu

I'm posting an answer here, so that anyone who is able to fill in the gaps
may jump right in...

Well Julie, it's funny you should ask - I've been asking a lot of people
the same question for the past couple of weeks.  As for myself, I will be
getting my BS in CS&E in May, though I used to be a BioChem major in the
distant past.  Here is a brief summary of what I have found so far...

school								phone
------								------

Virginia Commonwealth University, BioMedical Engr. Program      804-786-2403
Univ of PA (Philadelphia), Dept of BioEngineering               215-898-8501
Boston Univ, BioMedical Engr. Dept                        	617-353-2805
Stanford Univ, Section on Medical Informatics             	415-725-3388

programs for which I do not yet have a phone number

Univ of Washington (Seattle), Center for BioEngineering
Univ of Virginia (Charlottesville), Dept of BioMed. Engr.
Washington State University at Pullman.
George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

excerpt from a dialog with Dr. Dan Davison, Univ Houston (Davison at UH.EDU)

> Baylor College of Medicine ... and some others under development, at (e.g.)
> Cal Tech/UCLA, the U. of Philadelphia Med School, Washington
> University (St. Louis)...

Another place to look is in "Peterson's Guide to Graduate Programs", or
some such nonsense.  As you might imagine from the above, I've had the most
luck by indexing the BioEngr/BioMed programs, and then sifting through them.
Please let me know if you find anything beyond this...

Good Luck,
DAVE