Computational molecular biology grad programs?

Larry Hunter hunter at
Wed Feb 3 19:40:33 EST 1993

Julie Nelson writes:

  I would appreciate it if anyone who knows of graduate programs in
  computational molecular biology in the U.S. could give me information
  about them....

I know of at least four graduate programs with explicit emphasis on
computational biology:

* University of Pittsburgh (in conjunction with Carnegie Mellon). A new
  program in computational biology, funded by the Keck Foundation. For
  information on that program, contact Bruce Buchanan
  (buchanan at

* George Mason University.  A new program in Computational Science and
  Informatics.  [I am currently teaching the bioinformatics course there.]
  For more information, contact Harold Morowitz (hmorowitz at
  or John Evans (jevans at

* Washington State University, Pullman.  A program in computational science
  including biology that has been going for at least three years.  For more
  information, contact Keith Dunker (dunker at

* Washington University, St. Louis.  They have just instituted a new
  Institute for Biological Computing, which will begin admitting students
  next fall.  For more information contact David States
  (states at

In addition, there are some longstanding programs in medical informatics that
now include some emphasis on computational biology:

* Stanford Medical School.  One of the nation's best medical informatics
  programs, recently hired Russ Altman to teach computational biology.  For
  information, contact Ted Shortliffe (shortliffe at

* Yale Medical School.  Also has expanded its informatics program to include
  computational biology.  For information, contact Perry Miller
  (pmiller at

And there are many departments of computer science or biology which offer
the possibility of pursuing studies in computational biology.  This is
certainly not an exhaustive list.  My appologies to anyone I left out; I
welcome updates and corrections!

Lawrence Hunter, PhD.
National Library of Medicine
Bldg. 38A, MS-54
Bethesda. MD 20894 USA
tel: +1 (301) 496-9300
fax: +1 (301) 496-0673
internet: hunter at
encryption: PGP 2.1 public key via "finger hunter at"