Very Fast Simulated Reannealing update v7.1

Lester Ingber ingber at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Feb 3 19:40:01 EST 1993

*****************
VFSR Update v7.1
*****************

Very Fast Simulated Reannealing (VFSR) is a very powerful global
optimization C-code algorithm especially useful for nonlinear and/or
stochastic systems.  Since its release into the public domain three
months ago, it is rapidly becoming the algorithm of choice for many
difficult problems.

Version 7.1 adds a powerful feature permitting adaptive setting of
DEFINE_OPTIONS in repeated or recursive calls to VFSR, at the expense
of passing one extra parameter to vfsr() and user_cost_function().
For backwards compatibility, only the address of a dummy integer
parameter needs to be passed to use the older approach of defining
these DEFINE_OPTIONS in the Makefile.

Version 7.1 refines the calculation of integer variables.  We again
address the defining of machine limits, trying to balance user-friendly
design with many different machine definitions.

I still am depositing the latest version in uunet, which can be
accessed via anonymous ftp.
        ftp ftp.uu.net
        cd tmp
        binary
        get vfsr.Z
However, uunet regularly destroys old files in tmp, and so I cannot
guarantee these files always will be there.  Also in this directory is
a review article on simulated annealing by Lester Ingber, sarev.ps.Z.

The latest version in Netlib (ftp research.att.com to the opt
directory, login as netlib, binary, get vfsr.Z) and Statlib (ftp
lib.stat.cmu.edu to the general directory, login as statlib, get vfsr)
is v6.35.

The latest version in the UMIACS archive (ftp ftp.umiacs.umd.edu to
the pub/ingber directory, binary, get vfsr.Z) is v6.38.  This archive
also contains some relevant (p)reprints.

If this is not convenient, let me know and I will send you the code
or papers you require via email.  Sorry, I cannot assume the task of
mailing out hardcopies.

Another reprint comparing VFSR to other algorithms is
rosen.advsim.ps.Z, by Bruce Rosen, coauthor of VFSR.  This
PostScript paper can be requested via email from me or from him at
rosen at ringer.cs.utsa.edu.

The feedback of many users has been very important, and will continue
to be important, in maintaining and improving VFSR.

Lester
--
|| Prof. Lester Ingber                         [10ATT]0-700-L-INGBER ||
|| Lester Ingber Research                        Fax: 0-700-4-INGBER ||