computer simulation project

Mikael Behrens mbehrens at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 25 15:53:05 EST 1993

Hi,

I'm a computer science student doing a biology-related independent
research project this semester.  I'm interested in computer simulations
based on simple rulesets or "games," that have biological relevance
(usually in population or evolutionary biology.)  Examples of what I mean
are Conway's `Game of Life,' the Prisoners' Dilemma, and the Hawk-dove
game.  I plan on writing a general simulation application that can be
easily modified by a user or programmer to "play" these games as well as
others.  It would serve as a framework for creating new rulesets and
experimenting with them.  Since this is a computer science project, it
would focus on the DEVELOPMENT of such a system, and not a specific
biological problem.

I am still researching, and would be very interested in any comments about
this project.  Could someone suggest good sources of information about the
Hawk-dove game, and the Prisoners' dilemma?  So far, the three mentioned
above are the only "games" I've come across.  If anyone knows of others
please let me know.  I'm doing this project on a NeXT workstation.

--
Mikael Behrens              mbehrens at cs.utexas.edu (NeXTMail OK)
Computer Science student    University of Texas at Austin