The Vertebrate World

Eric L. Peters elpeters at lamar.colostate.edu
Sun Jan 3 02:30:43 EST 1993

ANNOUNCING THE VERTEBRATE WORLD PROJECT
The Vertebrate World is a HyperCard stack that is designed to be a
database shell for the vertebrate animals.  The database as planned will
eventually provide taxonomic, ecological, behavioral and distribution
information for thousands of species of vertebrates. Digitized pictures
of each species will be available, as well as phylogenetic trees,
sounds, QuickTime movies, and range maps for many species.  This will
(obviously) require storage and distribution on large capacity medium
such as CD-ROM discs.  Because of the size of the database, and the
relative scarcity of CD-ROM drives, my plan is to allow this database to
be customizable by individual instructors by creating a 'master control'
stack.  The instructor can use this front end to choose particular
species for inclusion into self-running subsets of the entire database.
These can then be run from a hard disk drive.  For example, an
instructor might select individual species, or make inclusion criteria
for species that correspond to specified search terms, such as 'Birds of
North Carolina' or 'Endangered Vertebrates of North America'.  The
master control would then automatically generate a new HyperCard stack
containing those species' entries, and this user-generated stack could
then be distributed to students or copied onto hard drives in a
microcomputer lab.  Various template stacks that automatically include
only information appropriate for use at particular education levels will
be provided, and these will be modifiable by the instructor.
		THE VERTEBRATE WORLD PROJECT
As there are so many species of vertebrates, I would like to 'job out'
different segments of the project to different people. The Vertebrate
World Project will have several areas of potential contributions:
writing and editing the species accounts, constructing phylogenetic data
files, and locating and digitizing pictures, videos and sounds. For
example, one person might be in charge of writing the accounts of the
pinnepeds, another might collect and/or scan pictures of Australian
snakes, etc.
In return for these efforts, each person contributing a certain amount
of effort would obtain a copy of the finished product of their choice
(i.e., one disk from the series), as well as acknowledgement in the
documentation. Persons contributing a large amount of digitized or
(especially) original written material would be listed as co-authors of
the overall project.
I believe this is the best approach for us to take because it places the
responsibility for the stacks' contents in the hands of experts in each
taxon, and it prevents duplication of effort.  I also think it would be
most worthwhile to be able to offer a complete set (perhaps on several
disks according to Class, with the possibilty of doing it by
subscription as new species are added).  I think that this series would
be an excellent marketing tool for a publisher to convince instructors
to buy textbooks on ecology or vertebrate biology. Finally, we would
have the benefit of not doing all of the 'grunt work' ourselves. The
details of this are not yet fixed, but will be avalable from this site
soon.
There are obviously a lot of refinements that can be made, and I hope
you will feel free to offer suggestions.  For example, I would like the
information listings to behave in a hypertext fashion, and I have
ncluded some example for non-linear access within the stack.  For
example, the description fields are set up so that clicking on the name
of the family takes you to another genus in that family. Clicking on
highlighted text in the species accounts takes you to  species entry of
ecological significance to that species (e.g., a predator), and so on.
	HOW TO OBTAIN A COPY OF 'THE VERTEBRATE WORLD'
To save space in the Internet archives, and because the programming effort
is ongoing, I am making a prototype version of The Vertebrate World
available for anonymous FTP access from my computer,
neptune.RRB.colostate.edu (129.82.125.6).  Please note that this is a work
in progress, not a completed version:  not all the species accounts are
complete and there are likely to be bugs (part of the reason the program
is being made available is to identify problems with different Mac
configurations-please download and read the file 'Read Me Now Or Regret It
Later').  If you are interested in being added to the mailing list for the
project (but not necessarily contributing), please be sure to download,
fill out, and return the 'Registration Form' file.  If you have any bug
reports, please download, fill out, and return the 'Bug Report Form' file.
If you have any other comments, please contact me at the address below.
Thanks very much for your interest in 'The Vertebrate World'.
************************************************************************** *
Eric L. Peters                 "Radiation. Yes, indeed!  You hear the  * *
Department of Radiological	most outrageous lies about it! Half-
	*
* Health Sciences	baked, gogglebox do-gooders,
telling	*
* Colorado State University	everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious *
* Fort Collins, CO 80523	nonsense!  Everybody could stand a	*
* Voice:  (303) 491-5343	hundred chest x-rays a year! They	*
*	       221-0736 (Home)	ought to have them, too!"	*
* FAX:	       491-0623		*
*		                - from 'Repo Man'	*
* INTERNET: elpeters at LAMAR.COLOSTATE.EDU	*
* America Online:  Eryx		*