looking for lists of species

Walter C. Daugherity daugher at cs.tamu.edu
Thu Jul 8 19:00:19 EST 1993

In article <88186 at ut-emx.uucp> mbehrens at cs.utexas.edu (Mikael Behrens) writes:

  Howdy Bionetters,

  I'm thinking of writing some software that could be of use to field
  biologists and ameteur naturalists.  I have only vague ideas right now,
  but I'd like to make something that helps you keep organized lists of
  species you've seen.

  Does anyone know where I can find lists of North American species in
  ELECTRONIC form?  Plants, birds, herps, mammals, insects, etc.
  Actually, it doesn't have to be just North America, but that's what I'm
  interested in right now.

The Expert Center for Taxonomic Identification at the University of Amsterdam
is working in this area.  Their first "publication" is "Birds of Europe" on a
CD-ROM with software for NeXT, color Mac, and 386 with VGA.  Contact
kestep at eti.bio.uva.nl.
Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher at cs.tamu.edu
Texas A & M University			uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
College Station, TX 77843-3112		BITNET: DAUGHER at TAMVENUS
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---