need examples of protein signal sequences

Michael Levin mlevin at
Sun Jun 6 13:10:29 EST 1993

     I am looking for examples of protein signal sequences - short (on
the order of 4 amino-acids) patterns of amino-acids which serve as a
signal (so that something particular happens to proteins carrying
them). An example is the KDEL signal (for endoplasmic-reticulum
retention). I am not intrested in large domains (such as zinc fingers,
etc.). If anyone knows of a recent review which covers several of
these, please email me at mlevin at Otherwise, I'd be
happy to collect responses from people who know of different ones
(please include either a good reference, or as much info as you can on
the signal, which proteins have it, and what it does). Thanks in

Mike Levin