need examples of protein signal sequences

Michael Levin mlevin at husc8.harvard.edu
Sun Jun 6 13:10:29 EST 1993

     I am looking for examples of protein signal sequences - short (on
the order of 4 amino-acids) patterns of amino-acids which serve as a
signal (so that something particular happens to proteins carrying
them). An example is the KDEL signal (for endoplasmic-reticulum
retention). I am not intrested in large domains (such as zinc fingers,
etc.). If anyone knows of a recent review which covers several of
these, please email me at mlevin at husc8.harvard.edu. Otherwise, I'd be
happy to collect responses from people who know of different ones
(please include either a good reference, or as much info as you can on
the signal, which proteins have it, and what it does). Thanks in
advance.

Mike Levin