Methods to prove 2-sets of seq. are from diff. populations

Laurent Excoffier excoffie at
Tue Jun 8 12:08:55 EST 1993

In article <1uududINNo3q at>, joe at (Joe Felsenstein) writes:
> In article <01GYK4XD2GG20003N8 at> kuiken at (Carla Kuiken) writes:
>>Hi everybody,
>>I'm trying to find a way to 'prove' that 2 sets of sequences are
>>from different populations.  ...
>>  ... They look different, and come out separate in phylogenetic
>>analysis, but bootstrapping doesn't give the distinction very high
> This would require someone to write a short program which would
> assign group memberships at random (by calling sequences "1" and "2"
> and then shuffling the array of 1's and 2's), and then computing the
> mean distances, and toting up a histogram of them.
> These kinds of permutation test are now very common in statistics.
> -----
> Joe Felsenstein, Dept. of Genetics, Univ. of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195
>  Internet:         joe at     (IP No.
>  Bitnet/EARN:      felsenst at uwavm

This program already exists.
It is running under Windows 3.1 and is available by anonymous ftp on :

in the directory :

file : or amovazip.exe

 Laurent Excoffier(*NT*) / Genetics and Biometry Lab / Dept. of Anthropology
 U. of Geneva   /   12, rue G. Revilliod   /   1227 Carouge  /   Switzerland
 Voice +41-22 702 6965 / Fax +41-22 300 0351 / Email: excoffie at