anyone looked at long-range patterns in DNA sequence?

Dan Davison davison at uh.edu
Fri Mar 19 17:38:28 EST 1993

Michael Levin said:
>      Has anyone looked at long-range (much larger scale than average
> gene sizes) pattern in the genomes of various organisms? What I mean
> is, to take the entire (known) sequence of the genome of some
> organism, and treat it as a single long message in a 4-letter
> alphabet, ignoring the gene/promoter/etc. boundaries, to look for
> long-scale patterns. Has this been done or discussed anywhere? I would
> appreciate references. If such patterns were discovered, what would
> this imply? What tools (mathematical) can be used to look for patterns
> in a string of symbols (when the pattern isn't known in advance)?

There's a bit on this. The fastest way to get references would be to
grab SEQANALREF from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov in /repository/seqanalref
and grep the file for "Fourier".  There are 8 or 10 papers on the
subject, with more coming if I ever get time to write some stuff up
:-(

dan

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77204-5934/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU

-----RIP Isaac Asimov 1920-1992     I'll miss him --------------------