List of schools/Ph.D program

Larry Hunter hunter at work.nlm.nih.gov
Thu May 6 10:24:50 EST 1993

Several people have written:

  I am interested in pursuing doctoral degree in Computational Biology.  I
  am looking for schools which offer programs in this area.

Here's my list.  Perhaps Una could add this to the FAQ?

Larry

----- begin file ~/Notes/compbio-training -----

I know of at least six graduate programs with explicit emphasis on
computational biology:

* University of Pittsburgh (in conjunction with Carnegie Mellon). A new
  program in computational biology, funded by the Keck Foundation. For
  information on that program, contact Bruce Buchanan
  (buchanan at cs.pitt.edu).

* George Mason University.  A new program in Computational Science and
  Informatics.  [I am currently teaching the bioinformatics course there.]
  For more information, contact Harold Morowitz (hmorowitz at gmuvax.gmu.edu)
  or John Evans (jevans at gmuvax2.gmu.edu).

* Washington State University, Pullman.  A program in computational science
  including biology that has been going for at least three years.  For more
  information, contact Keith Dunker (dunker at bobcat.csc.wsu.edu).

* W.M. Keck Center for Computational Biology, in Houston, TX.  A
  collaborative effort between Rice University, Baylor College of Medicine,
  and the University of Houston, has been offering graduate studies in
  computational biology since 1990.  For more information, contact  George
  Phillip, Jr. (georgep at rice.edu)

* Washington University, St. Louis.  They have just instituted a new
  Institute for Biological Computing, which will begin admitting students
  next fall.  For more information contact David States
  (states at wucs1.wustl.edu).

* Stanford Medical School.  One of the nation's best medical informatics
  programs, recently hired Russ Altman to teach computational biology.  For
  information, contact Ted Shortliffe (shortliffe at sumex-aim.stanford.edu)

And there are many departments of computer science or biology which offer
the possibility of pursuing studies in computational biology.  This is
certainly not an exhaustive list.  My appologies to anyone I left out; I
welcome updates and corrections!

----- end file ~/Notes/compbio-training -----

--
Lawrence Hunter, PhD.