New Gopher and FTP Site

Louis J. Gross gross at math.utk.edu
Thu Oct 14 14:42:27 EST 1993

              NEW GOPHER HOLE AND FTP SITE FOR LIFE SCIENCES

This is to announce the opening of a new gopher server of interest to
the life science community. As part of an NSF-funded curriculum development
project on a quantitative curriculum for life science students (USE-9150354
to the University of Tennessee-Knoxville), I've been collecting and evaluating
software products of possible use in the life sciences. These reviews have
been distributed by e-mail and hard-copy previously (using the wustl
archives). The reviews are of software for aiding the development of
quantitative skills of life science undergraduates, and the reviewers are
all students. Thus, this does not included software such as those to
aid in dissection. The reviews are now easily searched and downloaded from
the new Mathematics Archives, which mostly contains a huge assortment of
public domain software which can be used to aid mathematics instruction at
the college level. Also included are several databases including reviews of
commercial software, abstracts of meetings, and links to a number of other
relevant gophers. We currently support both anonymous ftp and gopher with
WAIS searching implemented on abstracts and readme files for files in
the Archives. The Mathematics Archives is also an NSF-funded resource
(DUE-9351398), with additional support from the State of Tennessee Science
Alliance, and the Departments of Mathematics at Calvin College and the
University of Tennessee, Knoxville. To access this gopher, use
              archives.math.utk.edu   (port 70)
or by anonymous ftp to
              archives.math.utk.edu  (128.169.202.163).

In addition to the above mentioned reviews of life science software, we will
be including public domain software as it becomes available, and we have
included several documents of possible interest:
   The Workshop Report on a Quantitative Curriculum for Life Science Students
   The complete listing of software reviews for the life science curriculum
   The B&B Primer on First Job Haggling

If there are documents, software, or reviews you would like to contribute
to the life science component of this site, please contact me. Note that my
policy for inclusion of reviews in the life science area is that they either
be references to published reviews, or be reviews done by students.

Louis J. Gross                           615-974-4295
Department of Mathematics and            615-974-6576 (FAX)
Graduate Program in Ecology              615-974-2461 (Secretary)
University of Tennessee                  gross at math.utk.edu
Knoxville, TN 37996-1300