Sequence/Structure Comparisons

Simon Brocklehurst smb18 at mbfs.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 8 20:45:48 EST 1993

Hi,
   I thought I might try to initiate a discussion on the net on the
topic of Sequence/Structure Comparisons that have been flooding the
literature over recent months and years.  The question that I would
like to ask is,

           "How much better is a Sequence/Structure Comparison
            than looking at multiple sequence alignments for
            prediction of protein structure?"

    Also what do people think of the relative merits of the following
    approaches

           The Profiles approach from the Eisenberg lab
           The Sequence Threading approach from the Thornton lab
      and  The Substitution Pattern approach from the Blundell lab

     It seems to me that of the above approaches, the Blundell approach
     has the most potentia; this lab have based their methods on very
     careful 3-D structure comparisons which is a very rich source of
     information.  Somewhat surprisingly, therefore, this labs work
     is not cited as much as the others.

     Do people think that the journals where the papers on all this stuff
     is put affects opinions on the power of the approaches?

     Over to you all!

Simon M. Brocklehurst
Cambridge Centre for Molecular Recognition
Department of Biochemistry
University of Cambridge
Tennis Court Road
Cambridge