Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA) version 1.43

Lester Ingber ingber at alumni.cco.caltech.edu
Sun Sep 19 21:38:18 EST 1993

		Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA) version 1.43

To get on or off the ASA email list, just send an email to
asa-request at alumni.caltech.edu with your request.
			Significant CHANGES since 1.34

Remarks were added in the NOTES for HP support, and for Turbo C, Turbo
C++, and MS Quick C on PCs.

Another option was added, the ASA_PRINT_MORE Printing Option, to give
more intermediate printout, i.e., the values of the best parameters and
cost function at each new acceptance state.
			Wall Street Journal

I have been told that the WSJ will mention the world-wide use of the
ASA code, in an article to appear soon.  I gave examples of some
projects using ASA, but I had to insist that the relevant people would
have to be contacted previous to citing them; see the related comment
in General Information below.  Of course the press has the last word on
what they will publish/interpret.
			FORTRAN?

I regularly receive requests to be able to run ASA with FORTRAN.  I
cannot maintain both a C and a FORTRAN code, but there does seem to be
a genuine need to interface ASA with FORTRAN.  In the NOTES are a
couple of suggestions: (1) Use f2c on FORTRAN programs; I have done
this and it works very well.  (2) Try CFORTRAN to interface the C and
FORTRAN codes: (a) call FORTRAN from ASA, e.g., from cost_function(),
call a FORTRAN function that performs the actual calculation of the
cost function; (b) call ASA from FORTRAN, e.g., using the ADAPTING
section in the NOTES as a guide, call asa_main() from a FORTRAN
function.  Can someone prepare templates for (a) and/or (b)?  This
probably isn't easy to prepare for public release; about half a dozen
people started, but didn't complete such a project.
			sa_pvt93.ps.Z

The new reference for this preprint in ftp.caltech.edu:pub/ingber is
	%A L. Ingber
	%T Simulated annealing: Practice versus theory
	%J Mathl. Comput. Modelling
	%V
	%N
	%D 1993
	%P (to be published)
As announced previously, this is a much expanded version of the
original draft, e.g., including new ideas and calculations regarding
"quenching." In the acknowledgements, I give a sincere thanks to the
many users who read parts of previous drafts and who sent me their own
(p)reprints on simulated annealing.  I'd be interested in hearing about
any systems that find the QUENCHing options as useful (lucky?) as the
ASA test problem did in this paper.
			General Information

The latest Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA) code and some related
(p)reprints in compressed PostScript format can be retrieved via
anonymous ftp from ftp.caltech.edu [131.215.48.151] in the pub/ingber
directory.

Interactively: ftp ftp.caltech.edu, [Name:] anonymous, [Password:]
your_email_address, cd pub/ingber, binary, ls or dir, get
file_of_interest, quit.  The latest version of ASA is asa-x.y.Z (x and
y are version numbers), linked to asa.Z.  For the convenience of users
who do not have any uncompress utility, there is a file asa which is an
uncompressed copy of asa-x.y.Z/asa.Z; if you do not have sh or unshar,
you still can delete the first-column X's and separate the files at the
END_OF_FILE locations.  There are patches asa-diff-x1.y1-x2.y2.Z up to
the present version; these may be concatenated as required before
applying.  The INDEX file contains an index of the other files.

If you do not have ftp access, get information on the FTPmail service
by: mail ftpmail at decwrl.dec.com, and send only the word "help" in the
body of the message.

If any of the above are not possible, and if your mailer can handle
large files (please test this first), the code or papers you require
can be sent as uuencoded compressed files via electronic mail.  If you
have gzip, resulting in smaller files, please state this.

Sorry, I cannot assume the task of mailing out hardcopies of code or
papers.

People willing to be contacted by others who might be interested in
their ASA projects could keep me informed on (1) the title and/or short
description of their project, and (2) whether I have permission to
release their names as well as the description of their projects.

Lester

|| Prof. Lester Ingber                                                ||
|| Lester Ingber Research                                             ||
|| P.O. Box 857                      EMail: ingber at alumni.caltech.edu ||
|| McLean, VA  22101             Archive: ftp.caltech.edu:/pub/ingber ||