Call For Participation IEEE ICDE94 - Houston, TX
Arthur K. S. Yeo
aksyeo at rodin.cs.uh.edu
Thu Jan 20 23:42:26 EST 1994
C A L L F O R P A R T I C I P A T I O N
I C D E - 1 0
Tenth International Conference on Data Engineering
Sponsored by IEEE Computer Society
Doubletree Hotel, Houston, Texas
February 14-18, 1994
This and other information concerning ICDE 1994 is available
for anonymous ftp from ftp.cs.uh.edu (directory /pub/icde94).
This document includes:
- Conference Description
- Registration Forms
- Preliminary Program
SCOPE OF THE CONFERENCE
Data Engineering deals with the modeling and structuring of data in
the development and use of information systems, as well as with
relevant aspects of computer systems and architecture. The Tenth Data
Engineering Conference will provide a forum for the sharing of
original research results and engineering experiences among
researchers and practitioners interested in automated data and
knowledge management. The purpose of the conference is to examine
problems facing the developers of future information systems, the
applicability of existing research solutions and the directions for
TECHNICAL PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
Research papers sessions on Disk Storage Management, Management of
Distributed Data, Query Processing, Analytical Modeling, Temporal
Databases, Multidatabase Systems, Knowledge and Rule Management,
Indexing Techniques, Data Mining, Parallel Databases, and Heterogeneous
Invited presentations by Al Aho (Bellcore): "Engineering Universal
Access to Distributted Interactive Multimedia Data" and Gio Wiederhold
(ARPA): "From Data Engineering to Information Engineering".
Panel discussions on Mobile Computing, Business Applications of Data
Mining, and Future Database Technologies.
Technology and Application Track with practice-oriented presentations of
applications of database technologies.
1) Klaus Dittrich (Zurich University) and Jennifer Widom (IBM
Almaden), "Active Database Systems", Sunday, February 13, 1994, (full
2) Krishna Kulkarni (Tandem Computers Inc.) and Andrew Eisenberg (DEC),
"New Developments in SQL Standard", Monday Morning, February 14,
1994, (half day).
3) Prasun Dewan (University of North Carolina), "User Interfaces and
Databases", Tuesday Morning, February 15, 1994, (half day).
4) Arif Ghafoor (Purdue University) "Multimedia Database Systems",
Monday Afternoon, February 14, 1994, (half day).
5) Wolfgang Klas, Karl Aberer (GMD - IPSI), "Object-oriented Modeling
of Hypermedia Documents, Monday Morning, February 14, 1994, (half day).
6) Lynn L. Peterson and J. C. G Ramirez (University of Texas),
"Medical Databases", Tuesday Afternoon, February 15, 1994, (half day).
7) Gerti Kappel (University of Linz) and Gregor Engels (Leiden
University), "Object-Oriented Systems Development: From Analysis to
Implementation", Monday Afternoon, February 14, 1994, (half day).
The 10th ICDE will take place in Houston - the fourth largest city in
USA. Local attractions range from the NASA Johnson Space Center,
where you can visit the control center for space flights, to
Houston Rodeo (the largest in the world!), which starts during the
weekend following the Conference. San Antonio with its famous
Riverwalk and New Orleans with its French Quarter are only a short
drive away. The conference banquet will be a Texas Country and Western
Evening at the Post Oak Ranch (the seating is limited so please
reserve your tickets early - $38 each).
Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, Purdue Univ. and Erich Neuhold, GMD-IPSI Darmstadt
Marek Rusinkiewicz, Univ. of Houston
Omran Bukhres, Purdue Univ. and Peter Muth, GMD-IPSI Darmstadt
Witold Litwin, Univ. of California at Berkeley
Rafael Alonso, MITL
B. R. Badrinath, Rutgers Univ.
Elisa Bertino, Univ. of Genoa (vice chair - Object-Oriented systems)
Yuri Breitbart, Univ. of Kentucky
Alex Buchmann, TH Darmstadt
Phil Canatta, MCC
John Carlis, Univ. of Minnesota (publications)
Arbee Chen, National Tsing Hua Univ.
Peter Dadam, Univ. Ulm
Amr El Abbadi, Univ. California at Santa Barbara
Ramez Elmasri, Univ Texas at Arlington (vice chair - data modeling)
George Gardarin, INRIA
Dimitrios Georgakopoulos, GTE Labs
Goetz Graefe, Portland State Univ.
Ralf Hartmut Gueting, Univ. Hagen
Theo Haerder, Univ. Kaiserslautern
Tomasz Imielinski, Rutgers Univ. (vice chair - database theory)
Bala Iyer, IBM DB Technology Lab, San Jose
H. V. Jagadish, AT&T Bell Labs
Matthias Jarke, Aachen Univ.
Christian Jensen, Aalborg University
Jie-Yong Juang, National Taiwan Univ.
Leonid Kalinichenko, Russian Academy of Sciences
Yahiko Kambayashi, Kyoto Univ.
Larry Kerschberg, George Mason Univ.
Masaru Kitsuregawa (vice chair, parallel databases)
Yasushi Kiyoki, Univ. of Tsukuba
Wolfgang Klas, GMD-IPSI Darmstadt
eva Kuehn, University of Technology Vienna
Paul Larson, Waterloo Univ. (vice chair - access methods)
Dik Lee, Ohio State Univ.
Witold Litwin, Univ. of California at Berkeley
Akifumi Makinouchi, Kyushu Univ.
Yutaka Matsushita, Keio Univ.
James McKenna, Bellcore
Dennis McLeod, UCS (vice chair, heterogeneous databases)
Alberto Mendelzon, Univ. Toronto
Michele Missikoff, IASI-CNR, Rome
C. Mohan, IBM Almaden (vice chair - transaction management)
John Mylopoulos, Univ. of Toronto
Mike Papazoglou, Queensland Univ. of Technology
Jehan-Francois Paris, Univ. of Houston
Calton Pu, Columbia Univ.
Raghu Ramakrishnan, Univ. of Wisconsin
Krithi Ramamritham, Univ. of Massachusetts
Andreas Reuter, Univ. Stuttgart
Nick Roussopoulos, Univ. of Maryland
Hans Schek, ETH Zurich (vice chair - extensible and spatial databases)
Peter Scheuermann, Northwestern Univ.
Gunter Schlageter, Univi. of Hagen
Arie Segev, Univ of California at Berkely
Ming Shan, HP Labs
Amit Sheth (Technology and Applications track)
Anoop Singhal, AT&T Labs
Richard Snodgrass, Univ. of Arizona (vice chair - temporal databases)
Mike Stonebraker, Univ. California at Berkeley (Awards)
Alex Tomassian, IBM Watson
Susan Urban, Arizona State Univ.
Gerhard Weikum, ETH Zurich
Antoni Wolski, Research Center of Finland
Gene Wuu, Bellcore
eva Kuehn, University of Technology Vienna
Gunter Schlageter, University of Hagen
Far East Coordinators
Yutaka Matsushita, Keio University
Mike Papazoglou, Queensland University of Technology
Industrial and Exhibits Program
Daniel Barbara, MITL
Abdelsalam Helal, University of Texas at Arlington
Ernst Leiss, University of Houston
J.F. Paris, University of Houston (chair)
C. Eick, University of Houston
A. Cheng, University of Houston (Registration)
Publications and Awards
All accepted papers will appear in the Proceedings published by IEEE
Computer Society. The authors of selected papers will be invited to
submit an extended version for possible publication in the IEEE CS
"Transactions on Data and Knowledge Engineering" and in the "Journal of
Distributed and Parallel Databases." An award will be given to the best
paper. A separate award honoring K.S. Fu will be given to the best
student paper (authored solely by students). A limited number of
travel grants to help defray travel costs of student authors may be
ICDE'94 REGISTRATION FORM
Please complete this form (TYPE or PRINT), and return with your payment.
Last Name: ______________________________ First Name:_________________________
Zip/Postal Code:_________________ Country:____________________________________
Payment in US dollars ONLY. (Please indicate method of payment):
__ Check drawn on a US bank or International Money Order.
__ Charge my credit card (VISA, MC, AMEX)
ADVANCE (Received by January 25, 1994):
Registration __ Member($290) __ Non-Member($360) __ Student($70)
Tutorials (Full day/Half day) __Member ($200/$120) __ Non-Member($250/$150)
LATE/ONSITE (Received after January 25, 1994):
Registration __ Member($320) __ Non-Member($460) __ Student($110)
Tutorials (Full day/Half day) __Member ($240/$150) __ Non-Member($300/$185)
Please circle the tutorial Number(s)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Additional Reception Tickets ($30/ea) ___________
Banquet Tickets (Texas Country and Western Evening) ($38/ea) ___________
Total Amount: ____________________
Charge my Credit Card (VISA, MC, AMEX): ___________
Credit Card Number: ________________________ Expiration Date: ___________
Send registration form with fee (make checks payable to ICDE-94):
Dr. Albert Cheng, ICDE-94
Computer Science Department
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-3475 U.S.A.
fax: (713) 743-3335
e-mail: icde94 at cs.uh.edu
by January 25, 1994. The conference registration fee covers the
proceedings, conference reception, and refreshments during the
conference, but not the banquet. Banquet tickets for the Texas
Evening, Thursday Febraury 17, 1994 are $38 each. Additional
reception tickets may be purchased for $30 each.
Call the Houston Doubletree Hotel Post Oak at (800) 528-0444 or
(713) 961-9300 (FAX (713) 623-6685) to make your hotel reservation. To
obtain the special conference rate of U.S. $85.00 per night for Single
or Double, you must tell them you are attending the ICDE-94
conference. The cut-off date for guaranteed guest room reservations
is February 1, 1994. If you have any questions on registration,
tutorials, or program, please send e-mail to icde94 at cs.uh.edu or fax
to (713) 743-3335.
P R E L I M I N A R Y P R O G R A M
| Wednesday, February 16th |
11:00-12:00 Keynote Speach: "Engineering Universal Access to Distributted
Interactive Multimedia Data" Al Aho (Bellcore)
13:30-15:00 Three Parallel Sessions (1,2,3)
Session 1: Analytical Modeling
- "On A More Realistic Lock Contention Model And Its Analysis"
- "Approximate Analysis Of Real-Time Database Systems"
- "Object Allocation In Distributed Databases And Mobile Computers"
Y. Huang, O. Wolfson
Session 2: Data Replication and Distribution
- "Supporting Partial Data Accesses To Replicated Data"
P. Triantafillou, F. Xiao
- "Efficient Support For Partial Write Operations In
M. Rabinovich, E. Lazowska
- "Mariposa: A new Architecture for Distributed Data"
M. Stonebraker, P. M. Aoki, R.Devine, W. Litwin, M. Olson
Session 3: Query Optimization
- "Exploiting Uniqueness in Query Optimization"
G.N Paulley, P. Larson
- "A Multi-set Extended Relational Algebra a Formal Approach
to a Practical Issue"
P. Grefen, R. De By
- "Performing Group-By Before Join"
W.P. Yan, P. Larson
15:30-17:00 Three Parallel Sessions (4,5,6)
Session 4: Disk Storage Management
- "Analysis of Reorganization Overhead in Log-Structured
J. Robinson, P. Franaszek
- "Performance Analysis of RAID5 Disk Arrays with a Vacationing
Server Model for Rebuild Mode Operation"
A. Thomasian, J. Menon
- "Storage Reclamation and Reorganization in Client-Server
Persistent Object Stores"
V. Yong, J. Naughton, J. Yu
Session 5: Multidatabase Systems
- "Cooperative Problem Solving Using Database Conversations"
T. Kirsche, R. Lenz, T. Ruf, H. Wedekind
- "A Query Sampling Method of Estimating Local Cost Parameters
in a Multidatabase System"
Q. Zhu, P. Larson
- "Resolving Attribute Incompatibility In Database
Integration: An Evidential Reasoning Approach"
E.-P. Lim, J. Srivastava, S. Shekhar
Session 6: Panel Discussion
Topic: "The Role of Knowledge Mining in the Development and
Evolution of new Applications"
Moderator: David Cohen (Sente)
L. Berke (BellSouth)
P. Bloom (Bellcore)
D. Tsur (Center for HPC, University of Texas)
| Thursday, February 17th |
09:00-10:00 Keynote Speach: "From Data Engineering to Information Engineering"
Gio Wiederhold (ARPA)
10:30-12:00 Three Parallel Sessions (7,8,9)
Session 7: Panel Discussion
Topic: "The Impact of Database Research on Industrial Products"
Moderator: Daniel Barbara( M.I.T.L.)
J. Blakeley (Texas Instruments)
D. Fishman (HP Labs)
D. Lomet (DEC)
C. Mohan (IBM Almaden)
M. Stonebraker (Miron)
Session 8: Schema Evolution
- "Managing Change in the Rufus System"
P. Schwarz, K. Shoens
- "Polymorphic Reuse Mechanisms for Object-Oriented Database
L. Liu, R. Zicari, K. Lieberherr, W. Hursch
- "A Method for Transforming Relational Schemas Into
Session 9: Knowledge Bases and Rule Processing
- "On the Interaction Between ISA and Cardinality Constraints"
D. Calvanese, M. Lenzerini
- "Comparing and Synthesizing Integrity Checking Methods for
C. Garcia, L. Mota, M. Celma
- "Discovering Database Summaries through Refinements of
D.H. Lee, M.H. Myoung
13:30-15:00 Three Parallel Sessions (10,11,12)
Session 10: Parallel Databases
- "Declustering Techniques for Parallelizing Temporal
V. Kouramajian, R. Elmasri, A. Chaudhry
- "Disk Allocation Methods for Parallelizing Grid Files"
Y. Zhou, S. Shekhar, M. Coyle
- "Object Placement in Parallel Object-Oriented Database Systems"
S. Ghandeharizadeh, D. Wilhite, K. Lin, X. Zhao
Session 11: Temporal Databases
- "Implementing Calendars and Temporal Rules in Next Generation
R. Chandra, A. Segev, M. Stonebraker
- "The TP-Index: A Dynamic and Efficient Indexing Mechanism for
H. Shen, B.C. Ooi, H.J. Lu
- "Efficient Evaluation of the Valid-Time Natural Join"
M. Soo, R. Snodgrass, C. Jensen
Session 12: Knowledge Mining
- "Magritte: Comprehending Large-Scale Connectivity in
- "Supporting Data Mining of Large Databases by Visual
D. Keim, H. Kriegel, T. Seidl
- "QBISM: Extending a DBMS to Support 3D Medical Images"
M. Arya, W. Cody, C. Faloutsos, J. Richardson, A. Toga
15:30-17:30 Three Parallel Sessions (13,14,15)
Session 13: Indexing Techniques
- "Efficient Organization of Large Multidimensional Arrays"
S. Sarasatgi, M. Stonebraker
- "Index Structures for Information Filtering under the Vector
T. Yan, H. Garcia-Molina
- "An Efficient Relational Implementation of Recursive
Relationships using Path Signatures"
- "Performance Evaluation of Grid Based Multi-Attibute
Record Declustering Methods"
B. Himatsingka, J. Srivastava
Session 14: Technology and Applications
- "Knowledge-Based Handling of Design Expertise"
P. Morizet-Mahoudeaux, E. Suzuki, S. Ohsuga
- "Active Databases for Active Repositories"
- "Papyrus:A History-Based VLSI Design Process Management System"
T. Chiueh, R. Katz
- "X.500 Directory Schema Management"
D. Silver, J. Hong, M. Bauer
Session 15: Invited Industrial Presentations I
- "Data Management in Delayed Conferencing"
A. Hsu (Siemens)
- Transactional Workflows: Research, Enabling Technologies,
A. Sheth (Bellcore)
- "Parallel Approaches to Database Management"
D. Reiner (Kendall Square)
19:00-22:00 Country and Western Banquet
| Friday, February 18th |
09:00-10:30 Three Parallel Sessions (16,17,18)
Session 16: Query Processing
- "Sort-Merge-Join: An Idea whose time has(h) passed?"
- "Data Placement and Buffer Management for Concurrent Mergesorts
with Parallel Prefetching"
K.L. Wu, P.S. Yu, Z.T. Teng
- "Fast Ranking in Limited Space"
A. Moffat, J. Zobel
Session 17: Heterogeneity and Multidatabase Systems
- "Capturing Design Dynamics the Concord Approach"
N. Ritter, B. Mitschang, T. Harder, M. Gesmann, H. Schoning
- "Semantics-Based Multilevel Transaction Management in
A. Deacon, H. Schek, G. Weikum
- "Specification and Management of Extended Transactions in a
Programmable Transaction Environment"
D. Georgakopoulos, M. Hornick, P. Krychniak, F. Manola
Session 18: Panel Discussion
Topic: "Nomadic, Wireless Computing"
Moderator: T. Imielinski (Rutgers Univ.)
R. Alonso (M.I.T.L.)
W. Litwin (Univ. of Paris)
M. Stonebraker (UC Berkeley)
O. Wolfson (Univ. of Illinois at Chicago)
11:00-12:30 Three parallel sessions (19,20,21)
Session 19: Advanced Query Processing Techniques
- "Query Optimization Strategies for Browsing Sessions"
M.L. Kersten, M.F.N. De Boer
- "Analysis of Common Subexpression Exploitation Models
in Multiple-Query Processing"
J. Alsabbagh, V. Raghavan
- "A Hybrid Transitive Closure Algorithm for Sequential
and Parallel Processing"
Q. Yang, C. Yu, C. Liu, T. Pham
Session 20: Object-Oriented Databases
- "OID Network: An Efficient Navigational Structure for
Object-Oriented Database Systems"
K. Hua, C. Tripathy
- "Applying Signatures for Forward Traversal Query Processing
in Object-Oriented Databases"
H.S. Yong, S. Lee, H.J. Kim
- "On the Selection of Optimal Index Configuration in
S. Choenni, E. Bertino, H.M. Blanken, T. Chang
Session 21: Invited Industrial Presentations II
- "Transactional Workflow Management in Distributed Object
D. Georgakopoulos (GTE)
- "Distributed Heterogeneous Information Systems"
W. Carpenter (MITRE)
14:00-15:30 Session 22: Plenary Panel Discussion
Title: The Information Superhighway; Implications and Issues
Moderator: M. Stonebraker (UC Berkeley)
Participants: Michael Brodie (GTE Labs)
Gio Wiederhold (ARPA)
More information about the Comp-bio