Remote access to GCG

Andy Winskill a.j.winskill at newcastle.ac.uk
Sun Jul 3 02:37:10 EST 1994

Please note: This message is from the BBSRC *NOT* the University of Newcastle
Upon Tyne. The BBSRC does not allow SMTP out of its domain. This prevented
the post from being distributed.

In article <94061117332606 at sggw.sggw.waw.pl>, wochniak at sggw.sggw.waw.pl (Peter) writes:
>Hi netters,
>does anyone know where one can use GCG at the remote server via net?
>Is this software fully comercial or is there any possibility to take advantage
>of it using internet? How costly is GCG package and where I can find info about
>shipping conditions? Can this program be installed as a GCG client and to search
>remote databases? Who delivers this program? Any contact via net?
>Please answer to me at: wochniak at sggw.sggw.waw.pl
>Thanks, Peter

We're currently developing a client-server version of selected applications
from the GCG package. Applications such as fasta, tfasta and fetch will be
converted. A GCG licence may be required to operate the system.

The MoBiCS (Molecular Biology Client Server) system requires that you have
access to the internet. Currently supported operating systems are OSF/1 and
VAX/VMS. It is written in C++ and requires the DEC CXX compiler. PC clients
are planned for the future.

MoBiCS provides the user with a transparent mechanism to access the remote
databases. The interface to the MoBiCS client is identical to the requested
searching application, ie. if the user is currently using fasta then a move
to the MoBiCS fasta will not be noticable.

The MoBiCS system is in its final field test stage. It will be available to
users within the BBSRC by September. At present there is no plans to make
the server available for users outside the BBSRC domain.

If you would like any more details contact me at

	andy.winskill at bbsrc.ac.uk

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Winskill
BBSRC Computing Centre
Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council
Harpenden
Herts
UK

Email: Andy.Winskill at bbsrc.ac.uk

Disclaimer:

I speak only for myself and not for the BBSRC in any way.