position for a student or postdoc at UT Houston

Andrzej Zych azych at nba19.med.uth.tmc.edu
Fri Mar 17 14:31:47 EST 1995

March 13, 1995

    I am writing to see whether any one
might be interested in a project in my laboratory at UT Medical School.  We
are constructing a realistic computer model of the primate retina in
collaboration with a group at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.  The
goals are both to develop better artificial vision systems and to guide our
experiments on the anatomy and physiology of the macaque retina.  At
present, we are modelling the circuit which provides input to the parasol
ganglion cells.  These cells are sensitive to motion and luminance contrast
and project to the magnocellular layers of the lateral geniculate nucleus.
We are particularly interested in the role of electrical coupling in
shaping their responses.  One project that might be appropriate for one of
your students is adapting the program (now in Fortran) so that it would run
on a cluster of workstations simultaneously as a Parallel Virtual Machine.
Because of requirements at Los Alamos, it would be much easier if the
student or postdoc were a US citizen.  This is an opportunity for training
in Neuroscience, and we can only pay the standard NIH rate for postdocs or
the GSBS standard stipend for students.  Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

David W. Marshak
Associate Professor of Neurobiology and Anatomy
University of Texas Medical School
Box 20708  Houston, TX 77225
Phone: (713) 792 5725
E-mail: dmarshak at nba19.med.uth.tmc.edu