multiple sequence alignment

Georg Fuellen fuellen at
Tue Nov 14 01:24:50 EST 1995

In article <47o0m4$st at>, millerj at (Jason Miller) writes:
|> Does anyone know of a survey of algorithms and programs that perform
|> multiple sequence alignment? I'm sure it has been done in the
|> introduction to someone's PhD thesis. Thanks.

The Multiple Alignment Resource Page may get you started; it includes
links to some tutorial texts as well. For example, Geoffrey Barton's and
Fredj Tekaia's texts treat, among other things, heuristic alignment along
a tree; the tutorial which I wrote for the GNA-VSNS Biocomputing Course
treats MSA (mathematically optimal alignment using Carrillo-Lipman), and
alignment along a tree (Clustal).

Unfortunately, I don't know about any recent exhaustive survey of algorithms
and programs; I'd be very interested in such a text as well :)

The URLs for the Multiple Alignment Resource Page are: