COMPLEX PATTERNS

JO DANIELS daniels at cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 01:15:35 EST 1995

I HAVE A GENETICS PROBLEM THAT IS WAY BEYOND MY 'A' LEVEL MATHS (I
THINK)....
I HAVE POOLED 100 INDIVIDUALS TOGETHER AND TYPED A POLYMORPHIC MARKER IN
THAT POOL SUCH THAT ALL ALLELES PRESENT ARE REPRESENTED BY A PEAK (ONE
PER ALLELE - THE HEIGHT OF THE PEAK DEPENDS ON THE FREQUENCY OF THE
ALLELE IN THAT POOL). I DO NOT KNOW THE NUMBER OR FREQUENCY OF ALLELES
IN MY POOL - THAT IS WHAT I AM TRYING TO EVALUATE, THE PROBLEM LIES IN
THAT EACH ALLELE PRODUCES ARTIFACTS THAT ARE DEPENDENT ON THE FREQUENCY
AND NUMBER OF OTHER ALLELES IN THAT POOL. HOW CAN I GET RID OF ARTIFACT
WHEN THE INFO I NEED TO DO SO IS ONLY ATTAINED AFTER REMOVING
ARTIFACT....A BIT OF A CHICKEN AND EGG SITUATION.  CAN ANYONE HELP ME.
DO I NEED TO POOL SAY 2,3,4,5,6...AND SO ON INDIVIDUALS TO DETERMINE A
PATTERN, WHAT KIND OF MATHS DO I NEED TO HELP ME DO THIS!?!

THANKS FOR ANY ASSISITANCE,
JO DANIELS