COMPLEX PATTERNS

David J. States states at ibc.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 16 01:15:57 EST 1995

JO DANIELS wrote (with liberal reformatting):

I HAVE POOLED 100 INDIVIDUALS TOGETHER AND TYPED A POLYMORPHIC MARKER
IN THAT POOL SUCH THAT:
  - ALL ALLELES PRESENT ARE REPRESENTED BY A PEAK
  - ONE (peak) PER ALLELE
  - THE HEIGHT OF THE PEAK DEPENDS ON THE FREQUENCY OF THE ALLELE.
I DO NOT KNOW THE NUMBER OR FREQUENCY OF ALLELES IN MY POOL - THAT IS
WHAT I AM TRYING TO EVALUATE.
THE PROBLEM LIES IN THAT EACH ALLELE PRODUCES ARTIFACTS THAT ARE
DEPENDENT ON THE FREQUENCY AND NUMBER OF OTHER ALLELES IN THAT POOL.
HOW CAN I GET RID OF ARTIFACT...

It seems to me that you need to provide more information on the nature
of the artifact(s) that you are seeing.  Why pool instead of just
testing individuals?

David States